Magnets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If one magnet can pull 450kg then I assume two magnets being stuck together have double that power. That sort of pressure would be like a vice tightning. Not exactly a play toy.

If you buy one just about a mm less than the internal diameter of a copper pipe and drop it through, it will not touch the sides of the copper pipe. Apparently it induces an electrical charge that keeps it right in the middle of the pipe. ;) ;)

I am sure that such a magnet has its uses, but can't think of one in my line of work, certainly not at that price. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Crack open an old hard drive and you get one for nowt.

so they're gonna post it out to you? and it goes through a sorting office? full of metal things? and then in a metal van? it aint gonna get to ya !!

I also took a hard drive apart once... wow, that magnet is hugely strong !!

so they're gonna post it out to you? and it goes through a sorting office? full of metal things? and then in a metal van? it aint gonna get to ya !!
I also took a hard drive apart once... wow, that magnet is hugely strong !!

Bubble wrap?

I have a few of the mini version of this type of magnets. They are quite strong, much stronger than a standard magnet.

Well, just an update. Me and a mate (another plumber who bought one) placed them either side of our hands. As Norcon said, it was vice like grip and very painfull. It took a hurculean effort to seperate them, :eek: and to be honest was quite scary. :eek: :D It was highly hilarious though, trying to hammer them off as we were crying in pain.

Placing them on each ear did create a magnetic force, and they held like big ear-rings but they were easily pulled apart. Slightly gutted to be honest. :rolleyes:

Mr. W.

Afaict the normal way to ship strong magnets is to do the folliowing

1: if shipping multiple magnets arrange them so the magnetic fields cancel as much as possible.
2: add sufficient space around the magnets to reduce the external magnetic field to levels considered acceptable for shipping (this often results in the box being MUCH bigger than the magnet). Magnetic fields tend to drop off pretty quickly with distance.

And yes there are some seriously dangerous permanent magnets on the market now.

so if all the old PC`s go to India -for example - to be "recycled " for a bowl of rice a day :rolleyes: then we`re doomed - the magnetic concentration in one place will upset the earth`s field :eek:

Are we expected to believe that Mrdubya?

I guess not. We are meeting up tomorrow night in a local pub, so Ill get some piccies and post them. 900 kilo's of pressure on a hand does not break it, if the magnets are not allowed to collide. As for a head, its enough power for the magnets to 'hold' on each ear without causing any un-sustainable pressure. An MRI scan generates much more magnetic force.

I know of another DIYnot forum member who has been injured by one as I ordered a Boiler Fan off him today - and he was equally shocked by their power. He was the person who told me about them.

The only thing its useful for is magic tricks at the moment as I cannot harness its power in any other way. I wont even allow it in the house as I have children, so it sits on the van.

EDIT: It did arrive in a huge box with a lot of insulation!

Mr. W.

900 kilo's of pressure on a hand does not break it

Instead if playing around with silly magnets, load up 900kgs on top of your hand and let us know what happens.

An average car is about £1500 kg. So get the jack out under the rear axle, (should be well less than 900kg) put your hand on top and get a friend to start jacking.
Let us know what happens. Some pics perhaps. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back