Main ceiling lights stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife, while decorating the bathroom, decided to remove the ceiling light yesterday and somehow tripped the electrics. I reset the main switch on the MCB (at least I think it is an MCB as it is just a series of switches) and the electrics came back on, apart from two of the ceiling lights in the master and second bedroom (the bathroom light is not connected so we aren't sure if that has returned or not). I went back to the MCB and flicked the switch with the label 'Upstairs lights' but this had no effect.

Can anyone suggest next steps for me to try before I have to call in an electrician?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Sponsored Links
The lights are normally wired in series called 'Loop in' wiring. If you remove a fitting and there are others downstream, then they will fail to work until you replace the one removed.
It sounds like you have a very minimal understanding so proceed with great caution if re-fitting yourself!

sorry, not that thick - that was the first thing I checked and it's not the bulbs.

Sponsored Links
you are absolutely right, I do have a limited understanding, which is why I wanted to check here first for the simple things - if it sounded too complicated or the suggestions don't work then I'll get a professional.

Wasn't suggesting you are thick, we only know here what you tell us and offer our advice for free. At the least we don't expect mild abuse in return.

If you decided the bathroom fitting is wired 'loop in' (which has three cables) and you have unterminated these, then you need to reconnect the bathroom fitting with the original connections that your wife disconnected.

If you have not noted which connections went where you can find great diagrams in the 'For reference' section at the top of the forum. Be aware that the colours do NOT all go together ie. all reds together, all blacks together.

thanks for the advice. I'll check with the original fitting and see if that works.

I should use emoticons in future, I forget you can't see the expression on my face when I'm typing! Aplogies if I came across as sharp.

When you say your wife removed the fitting, I guess that she wasn't delving into the connector blocks (or at least hopefully not, if that was when the supply tripped), so I guess that when she has removed the fitting something has just come out of its hole. The loose wire then possibly touched in something it shouldn't, hence the tripping.

Can you look at the connector blocks and describe what you see i.e. wires coming out of the ceiling, what's connected to what etc.

I suggest you print off the standard lighting diagrams in 'for reference' it is likely one of those... then you or the wife just have to work out which one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back