Main Combi boiler losing pressure in 24 hours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My main Combi 24 he is losing pressure now within 24 hours. Came back from holiday 2 weeks ago and pressure was gone. Have refilled but suddenly losing pressure very quickly. Loses pressure while heating off.

Constant drip from condensation tap, even when heating and hot water off,and looks like very small pieces of metal collected in condensation trap. Boiler is 9 years old. I presume the heat exchanger has failed and is leaking and bits of metal are from heat exchanger. I've checked the heating circuit for leaks, even under floors and none there.

For a while has taken longer for hot water to run hot. Length of time has varied.

Any thoughts. Can anyone confirm this or suggest other sources of fault?

If it is the heat exchanger, what are people's thoughts on buying one second hand on eBay. In the process of selling house and conveyancing should be done within 6 weeks so I'm not bothered if the part doesn't last that long. Want to avoid forking out 300 for a new one if i can help it.

Thanks for your help

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Definitely sounds like heat ex is leaking. Wouldn’t in a million years be recommending buying second hand heat exchanger though. I’d just bite the bullet and get it replaced by Gas Safe Registered engineer. Think you’ve just had a bit of bad luck at a bad time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back