MAIN MERSEY SUPER hot water gas heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with this multi point hot water heater is the pilot light does not stay on for long. As soon as you turn the hot tap, the water would heat up for about 2 to 3 minutes and then the heater would cut out (including the pilot light). And if you try to relight it, the pilot would not stay on. It takes another 2 to 3 minutes of trying before the pilot stays on. (it looks as though the boiler has to be cool before the pilot stays on, and as soon as the boiler heats up, it cuts out again). I have replaced the thermocouple and it is still the same. Any ideas, please help. Boiler make is MAIN, Model = Mersey Super

Sponsored Links
Overheating?
What is the water flow rate - measure it in litres/minute.
May be scaled up.

Thanks for the reply, and I will measure it when I get home.
If it is scaled up, the water flowing through the hot tap should be poor but from what I could see, the tap pressure is nearly as the cold water.
Also could it be that the sensor which determines the flow/temperature is itself faulty. If so, where would the sensor be.
Many thanks

If its anything like the Medway you probably find the pilots blocked.

Failing that is it relativley new like 6 years because they have an overheat thermostat which interupts the pilot on the Medway. Not sure about the Mersey.

Stan

Sponsored Links
pannierstan said:
If its anything like the Medway you probably find the pilots blocked.

Failing that is it relativley new like 6 years because they have an overheat thermostat which interupts the pilot on the Medway. Not sure about the Mersey.

Stan

I totally agree!

Does the push rod fully depress when the hw tap is turned off?

I think a new diaphragm & gland seal may fix your problem.

Can I just say.... thank god for overheats on these things, as I have been to many that have literally 'exploded'.

These appliances DO NEED a regular service, and done by someone understanding Waterheaters.

David

Hi sorry if this is an old topic but I have the same problem on my heater. I have a engineer coming to look at it but would like to know if the problem was solved and what was the answer. This will save some time and possibly mean that I can preorder the parts.

Thanks Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back