main rcd tripping under load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a puzzle for you all, my dishwasher works great but as soon as i start up any other appliance like a kettle or oven it trips the main rcd....no problem, get my sparky brother round he fits a new rcd. Now all high load appliances trip the rcd!.
It doesn't matter which ring main they are on either I have disconnected each ring main in turn at the consumer unit and tried the appliances on the one remaining and they still trip....where do I start looking?

Sponsored Links
i have seen similar before, it was nothing to do with rcd, but a "homemade heater" for a pond, wht ever was dissconected it still triped, them by chance looked in the garden and..........

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm an electrical engineer with 30 years experience.

One of the most common, but overlooked faults is a neutral to earth short circuit. It's doesn't be come apparent untill a fair amount of load is being passed by the RCD. Unfortunatly it's also one of the hardest faults to find.

You will need a "Metrohm" test set. Each circuit needs to be disconected from the neutral block in the consumer unit and an insulation test made between the individual circuits to earth. Please remember to unplug all appliances from the supply. The 500 volts test voltage will fry most modern electronic toys.

Best of luck.... And be careful....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back