Main RCD Tripping

Sponsored Links
It was a while back, At the time the shop sold both types. still have 1 on the van its a newlec, i will look up the model

It was a tesco bakery, the ring circuit tested ok, but one of the mixers etc seemed to trip the rcbo, we monitored a section of appliances at a time till the individual RCD tripped, cost about £100 for 3 but it found the fault

On a similar note, i was called out last week,
someones put rcd sockets on a rcbo circuit.
every night the butcher pressed the test button too turn the slicer off, this in turn tripped the Rcbo in the switchroom, resulting in 3 call outs before we sussed what was going on

Sponsored Links
Looks like we will plan for a new panel at some point in the future as suggested.

A new 'panel' (consumer unit) will not fix this problem.

However

The proper procedure, when installing a new consumer unit, is to fully test all of the existing circuits. That should highlight any circuits that are out of spec and that may lead to a resolution.

You could, of course, find an electrician to carry out the necessary tests and produce an Electrical Installation Condition Report . This too should highlight any problems.[/l]

A new 'panel' (consumer unit) will not fix this problem.
In conjunction with splitting circuits and the use of RCBOs it probably will.
It obviously would not 'fix' the problem - but, as some of us have said, it certainly should help in localising the problem, which hopefully could then be identified and 'fixed'.

Kind Regards, John

1960'S RCD ? It's tired :) seriously. i had a mate who had a 1960's wylex board with a rcd main switch, it drove him mad until we tripped all the mcb's and went to the pub, came home an hour later and yes..... the rcd had tripped it was well due for the retirement home.

Regards,

DS

It obviously would not 'fix' the problem - but, as some of us have said, it certainly should help in localising the problem, which hopefully could then be identified and 'fixed'.
If you think that then the probable "fix" will be the OP getting rid of some of his PCs etc.

Because the problem is probably not one of something being faulty, it is probably one of the cumulative and inevitable leakage from the power supplies in all those devices. In which case splitting circuits and the use of RCBOs probably will fix the problem.

1960'S RCD ? It's tired :)
What the OP wrote was actually rather ambiguous - it may welkl have been a 1960s CU and a (younger, separate) RCD. I lived with such an arrangement for a good while in the distant past.

Kind Regards, John

... the problem is probably not one of something being faulty, it is probably one of the cumulative and inevitable leakage from the power supplies in all those devices. In which case splitting circuits and the use of RCBOs probably will fix the problem.
IF that is the source of the problem, then you're right. However, that is speculation. I was obviously thinking more of the situation in which there was an intermittent fault, in which case the splitting/RCBOs would help in diagnosis, but would not afford a 'fix'.

Kind Regards, John

Should we be suprised that neither of the so called electricians, when faced with a tripping RCD, did not carry out functionality tests on the device? :rolleyes:

Should we be suprised that neither of the so called electricians, when faced with a tripping RCD, did not carry out functionality tests on the device? :rolleyes:
That sounds like a rhetorical question :)

However, I wasn't aware that there was a second so-called electrician - I must have missed that somewhere.

Kind Regards, John

i had a mate who had a 1960's wylex board with a rcd main switch, it drove him mad until we tripped all the mcb's and went to the pub, came home an hour later and yes..... the rcd had tripped it was well due for the retirement home

Neutral-Earth fault........ Not saying swapping the RCD wouldn't have stopped the tripping, but all RCDs have a slightly different tripping point - hence the purpose of ramp tests.

They very rarely trip at 30mA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back