RCD tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
The problem I have is that my RCD started tripping at random times (firstly occasionly some early evenings). Reseeting the RCD bought everything back to life. Then last weekend it tripped and while the wife kept trying to reset the rcd I went round the house disconnecting everything I could. It still wouldn't reset. I then turned off all the breakers and at first it still wouldn't reset. Then after turning the breakers back on and then off again it did finally reset. Suspected a problem with the downstairs ring main (this is separate to the kitchen main and has very little on it). Eventually by removing a neutral from the last socket on the ring the RCD could be reset. Any ideas A) what the problem is ?
B) Why by disconnecting one end of the neutral this has allowed the rcd to reset?

Sponsored Links
Hi Holmslaw.
Thanks for the prompt response.
I realise this may not be safe now hence the reason for this message.
I just think it a bit strange that as I have left the neutral connected to the ring and only diconnected the socket end then if it was faulty i.e. earthing or the like, then it would still be faulty and in theory should still trip the RCD.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back