Main supply side earth leakage tripping

New consumer unit would be my approach, given the old one is not type tested as well.
RCBOs tend to be single poled whereas in a TT system it is better to have earth leakage protection switching all poles. You can get double poled ones for a GE board but are two module width.

Sponsored Links
and I stll say try to get a supplier's earth, then you can dispense with the spike and use SP RCBOs.

Looking at the photos I cannot see a wire the to top earth terminal, just two to the bottom terminal. Without a connection to the top earth I cannot see how this device can trip. Unless the mechanism is mechanically failing.

Or does this type have both earth terminals at the bottom.

Probably left in place but disabled to provide a means of isolation while changing the CU.

and I stll say try to get a supplier's earth, then you can dispense with the spike and use SP RCBOs.
There are advantages of being TT provided the ground rod remains low impedance and in some circumstances a PME ( neutral derived "earth" ) is not as good as a TT earth.

Sponsored Links
Both E and F terminals are at the bottom, E - electrode, F - installation metalwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back