Mains door bell - New Chime with Secondary Wireless Chime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a mains operated door bell, with a good quality buttton. The chime unit is in the hall (quite old), and works ok. It is wired up to the mains via a transformer I believe.

Mrs Wobs would like a wireless chime so we can take it to the back of the house or in the back garden.

Given we rewired the rest of the wiring in 2013 and have a decent (but quite old) button on the front, I don't want lose this aspect, and am happy with the mains arrangement.

Is there a kit I can get, where I can simply change the chime unit in the hall with a new unit that also works with a wireless unit, so we would have two chimes, one of them mains operated, and one wireless. And still keep the existing the wiring to the button.

Sponsored Links
Mrs Wobs would like a wireless chime so we can take it to the back of the house or in the back garden.

Where it possibly won't work due to distance from the transmitter.

Given we rewired the rest of the wiring in 2013 and have a decent (but quite old) button on the front, I don't want lose this aspect, and am happy with the mains arrangement.

Is there a kit I can get, where I can simply change the chime unit in the hall with a new unit that also works with a wireless unit, so we would have two chimes, one of them mains operated, and one wireless. And still keep the existing the wiring to the button.

The button also contains the transmitter so keeping your existing one would be difficult.

But. How about a small relay in parallel with the existing chime. Open up the wireless button and connect the relay contacts across the button contacts. As the wireless button would no longer be a "button" it could be located anywhere (such as the back of the house to give range to the garden) hard wired to the relay.

I will add a constructive comment.

You can get wired to wireless adaptors like this one from Byron
CLICK ME

I have not used one, but, at a glance at the instructions, you can retain your existing button and bell and get a (Byron) plug in sounder for the second location.

The wired to wireless adaptor can be located at a central/convenient location so it will not be too far from teh wireless receiver.

Sponsored Links
I will add a constructive comment. ... You can get wired to wireless adaptors like this one from Byron CLICK ME I have not used one, but, at a glance at the instructions, you can retain your existing button and bell and get a (Byron) plug in sounder for the second location.
Sounds potentially useful, but ....
.... Compatable with all BY2xx, BY3xx and BY5xx products only. (not suitable for any other Byron range or BY1xx series)
Since it is connected to the wires coming from the existing bell push, it will presumably only be guaranteed to work if the voltage at the bell push is 'as expected' with one of those specified Byron products? If it's "not suitable" for even some of the Byron bells, one has to wonder about other makes.

Kind Regards, John

IHNI. As i said, I've never used one. But there is a Byron helpline on the instructions, and Doorchimes themselves. I would expect the OP to do (at least) some of the investigation work himself!

IHNI. As i said, I've never used one. But there is a Byron helpline on the instructions, and Doorchimes themselves. I would expect the OP to do (at least) some of the investigation work himself!
Indeed - but if I were a betting man, I think I might be inclined to put money on what I suspect they would say if asked about the compatibility of this device with a non-Byron product :)

In reality, I suspect the only way to find out would be to suck it and see - at least it's not very expensive. If it will work with the OP's existing bell, it would be the simplest solution for him.

Kind Regards, John

Wobs and All,
I have used one those "wireless adapters from Byron" as suggested by Taylor.
https://doorchimesuk.co.uk/catalog/...d=779&osCsid=74280bb485e41fe6532ee95cd4d2292d
I wired it across the wire door bell mechanism. Then fitted a few "Byron BY" wireless sounders throughout the house.
I seem to remember wiring across the wire door bell mechanism (or perhaps across the sounder itself) as being a bit of trial and error.
But once fitted worked very well sending signal throughout the house to the other sounders (with some of distances being quite large).

I was very impressed and happy with it.

NOTE that it only sends Signal to "Byron BY" range of products.
SFK

Last edited:
Since it is connected to the wires coming from the existing bell push, it will presumably only be guaranteed to work if the voltage at the bell push is 'as expected' with one of those specified Byron products? If it's "not suitable" for even some of the Byron bells, one has to wonder about other makes.

Kind Regards, John

The trigger signal will be the input voltage falling to zero when the existing bell push is operated. Within reason it should not matter what the voltage is falling from.

Surely the compatibility issue is with the RF between the unit and the sounders.

Thank you all for replying

Kind Regards, John
The Byron unit sounds useful, but as you say, it might be dependent on the existing unit and signal. I'll have a look more closely at what we have. Its just a plan white box on the wall, so I'll see what we have inside.

For me the white 'bell box' had a cable coming in from the Transformer (aka: mains to xVolts reducer) and the cable coming in from the door bell.
I wired it as per the instructions on the pdf on the website so that the module was wired across the doorbell wires inside the white box.
I then glued the module to the side of the box.
SFK

The trigger signal will be the input voltage falling to zero when the existing bell push is operated. Within reason it should not matter what the voltage is falling from.
Agreed - but it's the 'within reason' that is the unknown. For example, the electronics of the device might not be happy if the voltage across the bell push contacts, when open, was greater than the supply voltage of the electronics. If they wanted to, they could very easily make it compatible with every 'other make' bell under the sun, but it's just possible that they have decided that there are 'commercial reasons' for not doing that! As I said before, the fact that they seem to imply that it is not even 'compatible' with all of their own products does make one wonder just a little.

However, the chances are that it would work for the OP and, if I were in his shoes, I think I would 'suck it and see'!

Surely the compatibility issue is with the RF between the unit and the sounders.
That obviously is the major compatibility issues, but if one bought one of those devices one would presumably also buy Byron sounders with which it is said to work. It is, I confess, possible that their statement about comparability only relates to the wireless sounders - but, as I said, that would not be an issue for the OP.

Kind Regards, John

Quick update:
I got the "Wired to Wirefree bell push extender for the Byron BY range" unit as suggested, along with a wireless chime unit, and it works! Even in the garden, some distance away. Possibly as its rated at 200m, but the signal goes through multiple walls, which is impressive. Mrs Wobs is happy, but the new chime reminds her of Sid James. Still, you have everything.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back