Mains Door Bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Everyone,
i moved into a new house and renovating. there is an old mains electrics door bell( please see picture) that i want to remove completely. it doesn't work and we already have a a wireless replacement.

my question is- is it safe to just cut the white wires and tie the ends with electric tape and push it back into the hole in wall, seal the hole and paint over?

am not sure if there is a transformer somewhere but i don't intend to use the mains wired door bell ever again but i also don't want to just push the cable into the wall if its dangerous.

am illiterate with electrics so please advise in plain English.

thank you

Attachments

• doorbell.JPG
    doorbell.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
You need to locate the transformer and then remove the mains supply to it.

You will need to trace the mains cable back from the transformer to where it is connected to the mains and disconnect that end of the cable BEFORE disconnecting the cable from the transformer.

The transformer may be in the consumer unit ( fuse box ) and to work in there you need to be competent in electrical work.

thank you Bernardgreen. just a follow up... why cant the transformer (where ever it might be) be left alone? sorry for my ignorance. looking at the unit, it says 8-16v which, with my non- electrics background , think is'nt dangerous.
am just wondering why those white cables(if only 8-16v) cant be taped over with electric tape and hidden away in wall? sorry but this is just for my understanding and also to avoid paying out any more money than i have to. money is tight as it is now with the renovation.
thank you and i appreciate the fast response. ta

Sponsored Links
Because there will still be mains going to the input of the transformer. A fault on the output (even if it is 12volts ish) will cause problems to the transformer.

Please take a couple of photos of the consumer unit, and boxes near it, we may be able to guide you so you can disconnect.
Look for something like this

TCTR7.JPG

thanks . i just checked and i cant find any such box around the consumer Unit or in the garage. i have attached a pic. unless its hidden in the first floor?thank you

Attachments

• Consumer Unit.JPG
    Consumer Unit.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I just looked at the picture.

What makes you think it is mains powered?

When did it last work?

i only moved in 2 months ago and it doesnt work as previous owner had a wireless one already in place.

only reason i say its main is because of the 2 white wires i see in there. i suspect it goes in to the wall . i guess i can take the plate off to see if the wires actually goes in to the wall. you might be right, u know. i will check. many thanks

Update:
just checked with the decorator.checked both cables with tester and there is no power to the cable. in fact i held on to both cables. no power. so we will cut it as close as possible to the wall and push it in and seal the hole. thanks

yes diyer56, thanks for the diagram. from that it looks like it was battery powered. i agree. cables will be to the push bottom. many thanks to All for the replies. appreciated

What range did you set your “tester”?

You’ll be looking for 8v ish AC. can your tester detect that?

Don’t forget you won’t get voltage unless you press the bell button.

If there’s no voltage, You can test if the wires just go to the button, by selecting the ohms range and seeing if you get continuity when the button is pressed.

thanks Taylortwocities. i guess my thinking is i actually held on to the cables after using the tester and there is no current. maybe a stupid thing to have done. but as there is no current, shouldn't be any issues pushing cable back and filling the hole? am i being an idiot?

thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back