mains downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could anybody tell me if there is a limit to how many downlighters you could have in any particular area in a room ie. how close can they be?

Sponsored Links
How close do you want them, how many and what wattage are they. What other lights are on the current cicuit?

Are you trying to illuminate the area or heat it :p

hi nstreet. firstly in answer to your query they are to provide lighting only and not to heat up a particular area.

the lights in quetion are 50w mains and there will be five of them in a "cross" formation with about 8 - 10 inches spacing between them.

The only other lights on the circuit are two 60w pendant lights.

i suppose what i really want to know is that will there be any significant heat build up caused by the lights possibly being too close

Thats will be quite a lot of light in a small area:cool: . Are your measurements between fittings or the centres of the fittings. If its between centres then they are very close together.

Most downlights will have some sort of indication of spacing in the spec. There will normally be minimum distance from the outside of the fitting to another object. In the case of my fittings it was 50mm. You could always phone the manufacturer or supplier, they should be able to answer your question.

Also are they in the loft space or between floors? If its between floors I suspect the heat could be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Loads of stuff on this site about no. of lights on circuit.

P=IV

Lighting circuit I = 5A
V = 240v

So max P would be 5 x 240 = 1200watts

All you're putting on one circuit is 5 spots @ 50w a piece, plus two 60w pendants, which is only 370w in total.

I'm no pro electrician but it sounds fine by me.

For heating issue, the mains downlighters are probably GU10's which send most of their heat out the front (direction of light) as opposed to the GZ10 halogens which get really hot out the back. That said you MUST maintain the adequate space around them as stated in the manufacturers install guide.

They do sound a bit close together from an asthetical point of view mind, would be overkill IMO if you're trying to fit them in a shower cubicle sized space for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back