Mains Hot, Gravity Cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have a common problem of hot water coming from a combi boiler and cold from a header tank. Hence when using a mixer switched to shower there is very little control of the hot water flow in order to have a reasonable temperature. Will a check valve in the cold water feed just before the mixer resolve this problem? If this will work does the cold water feed need to be at a minimum pressure in order to overcome the spring in the check valve and the pressure of the hot water attempting to close the valve? Thanks

Sponsored Links
No a check valve wont sort your problem, you would need to supply the bath tap from the mains to have roughly equal pressure.

Or fit a pressure equalising valve, but that will lower the hot mains pressure to equal that of the tank-fed cold.
pressure-equalising-valve-00020563M.jpg

Or go back to whoever fitted the system and tell them to fix it ;) This is a cheap bodge installation. You won't get a good shower off it. Stopping the hot water pressure will give you a terrible low power shower. You could always fit a pumped shower to get the pressure back, but it might be simpler just to run a proper mains cold water supply to it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for all the replies, particularly the final one which puts a lot of this in perspective. I agree to a certain extent re not a very good job. Unfortunately my daughter's partner has good ideas but does not necessarily always do his research fully. I think the idea of running mains cold is probably the best solution. Any down sides that any one can think of? Once again thanks for the info. Cheers

I think the idea of running mains cold is probably the best solution. Any down sides that any one can think of?
Down sides of doing the job right? Let me think?

"Don't think, feel. It is like a finger pointing to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back