Mains interlinked alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted previously on the decision to rip out wireless Fire Angels and replace with hardwire interlinked AICO's.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/fire-angel-mains-alarm-system-battery-failure.576872/

2 core and earth FP200 fire cable is laid (yes yes, but for what was orginally to be a Grade A, but Grade D then got spec'd later by the FRA.)

Do I understand it correctly that you cannot use just the live and neutral, of the FP200, then use the 'earth' of the FP200 as the interlink, 'borrowing' of an earth, say from a nearby light fitting ... this is not within Regs.
(I note the AICO guide states you cannot use the Earth as the Interlink, is there a reason in addition to the above they state that).
The AICO is a plastic case, but does have an Earth lug, and like a plastic light fittings, an earth should still be present, and terminate at the accessory.

Is the route forward then to take L&N&E from a nearby light fitting, and use one of the insulated cores of the FP200 as the interlink, how should one leave the other two cores, I don't want to see them snipped back. Should they be terminated with say terminal strips and then have them poked back into the void.

The lighting loop in one of the flats is not in the ceiling roses, but behind the light switchs :(

Thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
FP200 is typically used in 24V DC systems, although it is also used in mains applications (e.g. the supply to the fire alarm panel, via a red keyswitched FCU).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back