Mains Smoke Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has recently been re-wired, and mains smoke alarms are now fitted as per current regulations, i.e. separately fused at the consumer board.

My problem is that the smoke alarm goes off quite frequently for no reason. I have replaced the smoke alarm and there is no change. I have noticed some electrical noise on the mains from the combi boiler which as it fires up / down can be heard as a click on the hi-fi which I suspect might be a cause.

Any ideas. thanks,

Nathan.

Sponsored Links
you said smoke alarms (plural) what happens if you swop the "noisey" one for another one you already have in the house? i did notice you mentioned you had already changed it, but i am wondering why is it always the one particular smoke akarm that olays up, and not the other, this would indicate a wiring problem.

also regarding your boiler does the smoke alrm activate every time the boiler starts / stops? and id the noisey one close yo your boiler, also do the smoke alrms have carbon monoxide detection?

There will be more than one smoke alarm, only one wired in at the moment, upstairs. The smoke alarm is hard wired back to the consumer unit.

I bought a brand new smoke alarm to replace the one that kept going off, this made no difference. Initially it went off maybe once or twice a day. It goes off more often now, maybe every 3 or 4 hours. I can not tell if the boiler is setting it off as it is still too infrequent. The boiler is a combi and is on and off every few minutes, so it is not every time.

The boiler is some way from the smoke detector, i.e. downstairs and two rooms away.

Cheers,

Nathan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back