Mains Voltage G4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been buying G4 bulbs for use in homemade lighting fixtures. The bulbs I’m using are rated for 250v, as are the ceramic lamp holders.

Given that:

-Mains voltage G4 bulbs are uncommon.
-The products I have been buying are from Amazon.
-There are many dubious electrical products to be found there.
-Equally, many dubious products are removed and prevented from being imported after faults are reported.

My question is, are there any reasons why a G4 bulb should not be suitable for mains voltage despite the fact that they are available?

So far, there have been no problems with the bulbs. And again, the products used are all rated for mains voltage.

Sponsored Links
The G9 is 230 volt and not really much difference between them, the main point with both is they need a cover, 1698357763206.pngthe one shown is for a G9 bulb it does two things, one it retains the white hot quartz should the bulb explode normally caused when they blow and one gets ionisation. And the second is to stop harmful rays from the bulb.

Same with G4 1698358069968.png these covers mean it is near impossible to get a LED replacement which will both fit inside the cover and will work with any electronic switch that does not use a neutral.

It does not matter if E27, BA22d, or G4 where 230 volt and 12 volt versions are made they are likely to go pop if extra low voltage version is used in a low voltage supply.

Clearly it is not permitted to sell the quartz version any more, so it can't comply with regulations, a google shows 220 volt G4 bulbs LED from UK seller, so I see no reason not to use them, although I would not use any bulb which is hard to locate, it is asking to be redundant.

Thanks. The diameter of the smallest suitable G4 lamp holder is about 10mm smaller than that of the smallest G9. This is important for the design.

For use in wall mounted lights where a transformer can’t be easily concealed or accessed, the 230V bulbs would be ideal.

Sponsored Links
Be it G9 or G4 if tungsten the problem is size of covers, and as tungsten are withdrawn the LED's are often too big for the covers which then changes the whole look of the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back