mains water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a length of pipe from the water meter to the house which has a leak. The problem is the pipe is 1 KM long at approx 1meter depth across two fields. The black pipe is the old alkathene 3/8 bore approx 17 mm diameter we have dug at four trenchs but not found the leak. As the pipe is in the ground we could insert a new pipe inside but the small blue 1/2" is large is there a product on the market which allows the old pipe to become a conduit for the new. If I have to dig up and relay this will cost £3,000. Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Finding a leak is actually quite simple :cool:

Does the leak show on the surface as a pool or soft ground.

Do you know the route the pipe takes.

Are there any other draw offs on the supply.

What is the ground and terrain eg. rock, gravel, hilly,flat.

Do you know anyone from the water board :?:

Can 'devonchap' tell me what he did to find the leak in his 1k of alkathene pipe please? I have the same problem but the local water board has basically said "it's up to you to locate it"

If anyone else has any suggestions, i would be very grateful indeed.

The propery is a registerd charity for needy kids (Charity number 509050

Sponsored Links
Hi

I was lucky as I found an large wet area on the side of the hill which was the main leak. I employed a company to trace the pipe and replace approx 1/2 KM and installed an additional stop tap so we can isolate any future leaks. Cost circa £1,000.

Devonchap

If you'd put a stoptap at each of the 4 trenches you could have narrowed your search to the right section, divide, dig, divide - or am I being too simplistic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back