New mains supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a mains lead pipe running into a bungalow. The distance from the meter to the house is approx 8m. The meter is approx 1ft outside the boundary of the property. I am going to dig a new trench 1m deep and run alkathene pipe into the house.
Can someone give me advice on the following;
1) What size blue alkathene pipe do I need to use?
2) How do I connect my new supply to the meter?
3) Can I connect to the meter even though it's outside the boundary of the property? or am I only allowed to connect inside the property boundary?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Think i would start by making a call or email my water supply Co

Normally anyone who replaces a water supply has to be qualified or alternatively the installation has to be inspected by the local water supply company before being covered up.

It does not sound as if you are qualified.

Most domestic supply pipes are done in 20 mm unless a particularly high water flow is needed.

Tony

Agile,
Could you tell me what qualifications are needed in order to install such a supply please.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
dig the trench

lay the pipe 25mm you may need it later and the price aint that bad for the run your doing

you dont connect the supply the water co do and will check the depth so don't backfill it yet

you need to connect your end of the pipe
:idea:

One would assume agile, that the people who ask about what work needs to be done, have neither experience or qualifications, blatently obvious ;) His aptitude is limited, so general advice can be given for direction to the necessary guidelines, BS, or legal requirements ;) Right fella, if you are thinking of working beyond your property boundary then the relevant pipework belongs to the relevant local or national water company. Any such undertaking, needs to be done by them. A curtieous call to them, should warrant a visit from an inspector, who in turn would be able to advise you of the work involved, who is responsible and what is chargeable given the fact that it falls beyong your boundary. Alot of the companies charge quite a substantial sum, or, you might be lucky and get a guy who see's your predicament and might get a workman round for a small fee ;) Being curtieous to these people is beneficial to you both financially and practically. It is their pipework after all, remember that.... I hope you have a speedy and cheap install fella :cool:

as the last gentleman has already stated you are not qualifed the atucally contect the new water main to the meter as the meter belongs to the local water council. i live in northern ireland so i'm not sure what way your water board/ council operate but over here if you have a lead water main and wish for it to be replaced then they connected it up free of charge on the grounds that lead pipes are deemed unsafe . replacing the old toby with a new plastic one. word of warning, it is illegal to dig up the road with out a road open permit from your local road service. this costs nearly a grand but you get it back as long as you put the pavement around your new water toby/ meter back as it was before you dug it up. 20mm mdpe pipe is adequte for a new water main. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back