New Mainswater supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am splitting my house into 2 units. A main building and separate granny flat. I have been quoted £1400+ to run a new supply from across the road to my boundary. I do not have a problem with the price if that is what the work is that is required My question is, Could the existing supply to the property be split and separately metered as an alternative or is there regs to prevent this. The distance from the existing meter would be less than 10ft.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
There is a requirement within the Water Act for all new dwellings to have a seperate supply. This can be overcome in multi-occupancy dwellings (eg apartment blocks) by having a large diameter supply pipe supplying a manifold that then splits down into seperate supplies.
This tends to apply to new-build properties only, conversions/splits are usually required to have their own individual pipes.

s64(2) Water Industry Act 1999:
The water company shall not require the provision of a seperate service pipe until:
(c) the house is, by structural alterations, converted into a larger number of dwellings.

Edited to provide reference

Thanks boxbasher,

Problem solved, pay the money in public and :cry: in private.

Thanks again :

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back