New Mainswater supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Back again for more advice. Regarding my new supply, the water board will only run to my boundary, I have a sewer cover at one end of my drive and one at the other, can I, ugh, run a length of polypipe up this to remove the problem of digging my drive up.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I don't understand the problem, the pipe will be one unjoined length and it will be the same pipe that is used by the mile to run in all circumstances by the water board .

Please explain the hygiene problem! :confused:

Any manufacturing fault in the supply pipe could result in contamination of the towns water supply and could cause an outbreak of E coli etc :rolleyes:

The water company will advise you of water regs which are there to keep the supply wholesome.

surely if the pipe is at positive pressure then it would be just a burst pipe in a drain?

It will act as an abstruction and eventually cause a blockadge ..

Have you heard of back siphonage :?:

Get your shovel out and do it properly. The water co will not connect up if unsatisfactory. ;)

Thanks howy1

seems like a good reason not to do it. Thanks.

Bahco, how can the system back syphon if the pressure from the burst pipe is greater than the external pressure. To back syphon surely the whole water system would have to collapse :confused:

A burst main in the area can cause back siphonage hence the need for DC valves and keeping water supply pipes away from raw sewage. :eek:

If there is ever a leak on your supply pipe & the water main in the street is tuned off for any reason then you will have back syphonage, therefore when the water is turned back on you & your neighbors will be drinking contaminated water.

It must NOT be in the sewer.
No water fitting shall be installed, connected, arranged or used in such a manner that it causes or is likely to cause -
(i)waste, misuse, undue consumption or contamination of water...

You have to bear in mind that chemicals that you will use in your house (and will end up in the drain) will react with the plastic, causing it to either fail, or just contaminating your water supply.

If we ever come across a supply pipe in a drain we will turn it off and serve notice. Water won't go back on until things are rectified.

Your new pipe will have to be inspected and passed before the water co will connect it. It won't get passed in a drain/sewer.

Bahco said:
A burst main in the area can cause back siphonage

Burst main, fire brigade, road sweeper, peak demand, shut-off for repairs/maintenance, pumping changes, valve operations. The list is pretty large.

The biggest thing that should concern you is the pipe itself absorbing chemicals from the drain.

Thanks everybody. I think my decision has been made :oops: :) I won,t do it. (although with my neighbours!!!! :evil: ). No. I must not think like that.

Thanks again all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back