Shared supply

Cut off your out house from the lead supply so the lead only feeds next door. You are no longer sharing that part of the supply as you have a new one so if anything happens it is their pipe although it crosses your land.

Sponsored Links
oh i see, that makes sense now, i may get in touch with the council explaining that the pipe is no longer connected to my property, I am not willing to take responsibility for it and if it leaks again i will cut it off to prevent damage to my property.

Anyone think that will wash?? I know it's going to cost them money but surely it is better for everyone if we have seperate supplies and stop taps, they cannot isolate their property without isolating mine and vice versa.
I think it's crazy for there not to be some sort of legislation that stipulates that eash property should have an independant means of isolation.

Unfortunately,years ago many properties were connected to these shared supplies,i had lots of trouble when working for the water board in the 1980s.

In the early 1900s all the houses would have had was a sink in the "kitchen"with one cold tap,and an outside bog.The one water pipe shared between 6 or so terraced houses,was sufficient,legislation was virtually non existant.

Many of these shared supplies still exist,and cause problems with low pressure/flow now that properties have indoor bathrooms,second loo,washing machines,and dishwashers,and people often only realise they are connected to one,when a leak occurs,or someone turns the water off,not realising they are also shutting off 5 others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back