Maintain Old Single Skin Garden Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a single skin 30-meter garden wall (see attached) its approaching 50 years old and is in poor shape in places. As you can see the top courses are a bit knackered in places, there are also spalled bricks and some repointing that needs doing. The wall retains some of the garden earth up to 3 bricks worth but there's no, gravel or drainage which I guess is normal if it's this shallow. Periodically columns are added to provide structure.

I was going to replace spalled and damaged bricks and repoint where it's really bad.

I also wonder if a product like Thompsons Water Seal might help prolong the life of the wall, even if I just add this to the top few courses?

Is there any value in retrofitting gravel or drainage to prevent frost damage?

How would the pros handle this to get the longest useful life out of this wall?

Justin

Attachments

• IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Those flettons will always spall in that situation - surprised they're not worse. Problem is replacing some will look like filled teeth:unsure: You could try coating the top with water repellant to hold it back a bit.

Thanks for the advice Nige F will try repairing (not replacing) and treat just the top with water repellent.

Yes, I take your filled teeth point but better than missing bricks I guess.

Justin

Sponsored Links
Single skin is known as half brick. Use 3 sand : 1 cement for garden walls and frost proof bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back