Safe replacement of brick on corner of single skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am a homeowner, not a builder my have reasonable DIY skills. However, I don't have knowledge regarding loads on single skin walls and what is safe to remove, hence this question please.
I have a broken brick on the course immediately below the damp proof membrane but on the corner of the garage gable wall single skin wall.

It seems as though the corner of the brick was chiselled away in the past to run an oil pipe between the tank and boiler (all now gone).

So my question is, can I remove and replace a brick from the lower corner of a single skin garage wall without compromising the gable wall when the brick is removed?

At the point where the brick is, the wall is about 7ft high and the roof meets the wall on the corner.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thankyou
This photo was taken before the oil was taken out and you can see from the enlarged section where the oil pipe was embedded in the wall by removing the upright right angle of the corner brick at ground level.
It looks as though I could get away with removing just half of the damaged brick as the short edge is facing the camera so I could drill out half the long edge facing the house.
However I'd prefer to replace the whole brick if possible.

Thanks again

Attachments

• GarageBrick.jpg
    GarageBrick.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Thankyou
Belt and braces I know but please see closeup photos from both angles.
Will replacement still be ok without any kind of wall support?

Thankyou... and apologies for sending twice. Couldnt get images to attach from mobile.

Belt and braces I know but please see closeup photos from both angles.
Will replacement still be ok without any kind of wall support?

Attachments

• bricklongedge.jpg
    bricklongedge.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 28
  • brickshortedge.jpg
    brickshortedge.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 30
You can take most of that corner out without any problem to the wall around it if you were so inclined.

Thankyou.
As I don't want to damage the damp proofing any further, would it be ok to tidy up the existing brick to replace the half nearest the corner?
I already have a half brick, cut during an earlier job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back