Single-skin brick wall garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting a single skin brick garage into a kitchen. Can anyone advise what the best way is to insulate the walls/fit damp course at low level along the existing walls/damp proofing (one of the walls is the boundary to our neighbouring property and access to fit weepholes etc is limited)?

Sponsored Links
PrenticeBoyofDerry
Thanks for that, looks good. However, the detail Kingspan show doesn't identify if I need to treat the inside of the face of the brickwork with a breathable membrane of some sort, is this right?

Also, how would I install a DPC in the single skin brickwork along its perimiter and how would this connect to the DPM I'll need to put in below the floor?

If you have any thoughts on this I'd be grateful

Thr K18 can go onto treated battens affixed to the wall. No membrane needed.

You will need a plastic sheet dpm under the floor plus insulation, or liquid dpm. Depends on height available/floor finish required.

Does the existing wall not have a dpc 2 courses up from the ground level outside?

Sponsored Links
No, its currently just a plain brick structure sat directly onto a concrete slab-over-hardcore.

I want to avoid having to grind out a slit along the full length of the perimiter wall at the 2nd course pointing (section by section) into which to force-fit a DPC and mortar-up afterward ie working 'back to front'.

That's just a lot of hard work, and that would require the DPC to be laid higher level on top of a low stub wall built onto the inside (ie new part of 2nd internal skin), building the rest of the internal wall over on top, having fitted the floor DPM into the arrangement.

It would work, but the hours I'd spend doing it makes me wonder of there's a simpler cheaper solution.

Any ideas?

that would require the DPC to be laid higher level on top of a low stub wall built onto the inside (ie new part of 2nd internal skin), building the rest of the internal wall over on top, having fitted the floor DPM into the arrangement.

It would work, but the hours I'd spend doing it makes me wonder of there's a simpler cheaper solution.

Any ideas?

Hours? You won't get this job finished in a lunchtime.

It's certainly what I'd do, you'd only need a course of engi bricks with a stud wall sat atop, floor dpm lapped over the bricks. That and a tub of synthaprufe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back