Lining and plastering a single skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

I have a 15 year old stand alone brick garage (10cm Brick) which is single skin and has a damp proof membrane and a concrete floor. The garage has just had a new pitched roof to replace my leaking flat roof.

As we only fill the garage with junk, after some gentle persuasion I have had the green light off the missus to turn it into a games room (I think she wants me out of the house!).

What I plan to do is batten the walls and fit insulation and plasterboard then get a friend to skim it. The roof rafters would also be insulated, plasterboarded and skimmed.

My 2 questions:

The only thing that worries me is damp as the wall is single skin. There isn't a problem with damp at the moment, in fact it seems to be really dry in there but I'm wondering if nailing the battens to the wall and adding the insulation and plasterboard will bring in moisture from the bricks and eventually ruin the job?

Also the concrete floor isn't particularly level and I was thinking of tiling it. A friend suggested 'self leveling concrete'. Has anyone had any experience of this stuff and would you recommend it?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Sponsored Links
The one thing many folks don't realise is when you start using a space regularly, you then fill it with humid air.

These humid spaces become a problem when temp's are low during wintertime when all that humid air starts condensing upon the first cold surface it can find. Usually poorly insulated outside walls.

The next thing you have is black spot mould on the walls coupled with a musty smelling room.

Insulating a single structure up to habitable spec' normally requires say 100mm + of celotex to the outside walls. The roof space would require 300mm of fibreglass quilt at ceiling level.

You may get away with less insulation by increasing ventilation.

Floor levelling compound is ideal for ironing out minor indiscretions in a floor. However. you may want to use battens plus insulation or even add a screed with membrane depending upon door sill levels.

Thanks for the advice Noseall, much appreciated.

Sounds like I should be more concerned with the moist air inside than weather creeping in from outside.

I've had a look at the Celotex website to have a look at the insulation boards they recommend for solid walls.

The diagram and description looks like I need to add proprietary supports to the wall, add the 100mm insulation board and fix to supports, cover with a breather membrane then add treated battens on top of the insulation and fix plasterboard then skim.

I have a couple of questions again:

Could I replace the breather membrane with a vapourshield plasterboard from Wickes (it has a membrane on the back)?

Also, how do I fix the treated battens to the wall through the 100mm insulation board to the underlying wall. Would I use a 120mm screws into preprepared wallplugs? Could be tricky to hit the holes?

Thanks again for your advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back