insulating single skin for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am converting a single skin (3 sides) coal shed with pre cast concrete flat roof into a bath/shower room.

what is the best way to insulate the walls, floor and ceiling to insure no damp, etc.

i figured for the walls making a 100m stud inside, filling with 100mm celotex, etc. plasterboard and skim, then tile finish.

same for the ceiling but without tiles.

is this suitable? do i need a vapour barrier also?

advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks, so is this all i need to use?

i work for a timber merchant so timber, celoxtex and plasterboard, etc is cheaply available so would ideally like to go down this route.

Sponsored Links
I Don't see a problem with what you propose, make sure you tape over all the stud work with foil tape to create a vapour barrier or staple a VP to your walls before you fix your plasterboard.

You are likely to get cold bridge 'shadowing' unless you fix some insulation across the studs also, prior to fixing the plasterboard.

The most recent job we did asked for a further 40mm across the timbers.

ok thanks noseall.
so can i fix plasterboard straight onto the celotex?
do i need an air gap at all?

sorry real beginner here.

No need for an air gap, though it would be prudent to use foil backed (duplex) plasterboards.

Have you given any thought to the roof insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back