Single brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extension at the back of my garage with a single skin brick wall and a pitched roof. I want to extend this room but believe the walls will not comply with building regs due to being single skin. Will I be able to use some good quality insulation on the walls or will I have to double skin them and have a cavity.
Any advice greatly appriciated

Sponsored Links
You need to give some more information.
Is it currently "habitable"?
Will it be heated?
Will it have electrics?
Will you need planning permission?
Doors/windows?

Generally a single skin wall to a habitable room wouldn't pass regs, even with lots of insulation. Unless you build a stud wall on the inside, and insulate that.

Start by sketching something simple to discuss with a local planning officer. You can then discuss it with a BCO as to how it needs to be built in order to comply.

Something like 125mm of celotex or kingspan set between 100mm studs (100mm between and 25mm across) will do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back