Maintained Emergency light in Bathroom.

BQW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picked up on a fire safety audit is a missing maintained fire exit light in a large bathroom located in a hostel, the bathroom has two doors one leading to the outside of the building designated as a fire escape .
Question is can a engineers emergency light test switch be located in a bathroom ? It is a very large room and at a guess would be at least 4 meters away from zones 1 or 2.
Informed comment appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I make no apology for quoting a learned member from another thread:
It can be done.
Light switches can be located inside most bathrooms.
Pull cords and having switches outside the room are not necessary and never were.

Last edited:
You can also get exit signs that have a self test button on them
Last time I tried to purchase such I was unable to find them, one of my regular suppliers said something about non compliance/banned, would have been 4-5 years back.
Our local hospital used to have 4ft flou's with the test button and I noticed more recently there is now a test switch on the ceiling by each one. Very silly as testing was done with a stick, now they have to use a step ladder and all the guarding that goes with it.

Sponsored Links
Last time I tried to purchase such I was unable to find them, one of my regular suppliers said something about non compliance/banned, would have been 4-5 years back.
Our local hospital used to have 4ft flou's with the test button and I noticed more recently there is now a test switch on the ceiling by each one. Very silly as testing was done with a stick, now they have to use a step ladder and all the guarding that goes with it.
Possibly the ones i see are a few years old, I also heard the terms Maintained and Non maintained are now phased out, replaced with a letter and number code.

Yes I tried to get the type with the test button, could not see them stocked any were.
So were ok with a Key switch then ?

Question is can a engineers emergency light test switch be located in a bathroom ? It is a very large room and at a guess would be at least 4 meters away from zones 1 or 2. Informed comment appreciated.
I don't really think that anyone even remotely 'informed' could imagine that there could be any problem with that. Any sort of switch (indeed 'anything electrical', provided that it's not a socket, which needs 3m from bath/shower) can be located in a bathroom, provided only that it is outside of zones 0/1/2 (and, strictly speaking, if the switch is "suitable for use in a bathroom").

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back