Emergency Lighting Completion Cert checklist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2x flats with self contained non maintained Emergency Bulkheads.

My electrician has provided Emergency Lighting Completion Certificates for both flats ('For Small New Installations').

The GF flat has 2 lights in the one corridor, which opens into a small lobby, then onto the street, the FF and Loft flat has 3 lights covering stairs and landings, again opening out into the common lobby. 2x very small installations.

A separate Fire Risk Assessement has been carried out.

When handed the certificate, page 2 the 'Compliance Checklist' was left blank.

At the time no 'system plans' were available, nor any photometric data.

I have queried this blank page with the Electrician who has stated he has enough experience to judge the system as compliant as it is, no further form filling or information required.

Should I be satisfied with just page 1 (The Certificate) being signed and completed, even though it states that photometric design data must be present for the cert to be compliant.

I have spoken to 2x independant Designers and Engineers of Em Lighting, who also state they would not provide Photometric Data for such a small install - in fact laughing off the idea.

So is the Cert Valid without there being any Photometric Data, and the CheckList left blank.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The certificate (an NICIEC document) when handed to me contained 2 pages, page 2 - the 'checklist' was blank, is that optional ???? - it asks some very pertinent questions.
Should I, as RP expect to be given the page 2 completed. I am confident my sparky is fully competent, I have a good grasp of BS5266 myself and know the install to be right, but miffed why he would not bother to complete it, I have queried him on this, but he simplt says 'I have the certificate'.

On Page 1 it states:

This Certificate is only valid when accompanied by current:

a) Signed declaration.
b) Photometric design data. This can be in any of the following formats but in all cases appropriate de-rating factors must be
used and identified to meet worst case requirements.
- Authenticated spacing data such as ICEL 1001 registered tables.
- Calculations as detailed in BS 5266-1:2016, Annex D, and CIBSE/SLL Guide LG12.
- Appropriate computer print-out of results.
c) Test log book.

So a legal document, that to be 'Valid' requires certain information to be present, yet it seems common practice to not provide it ... where the install is deemed minor, and despite the Cert having the words 'small new installations' in the title.

If the day ever came and a court required to see the Cert, what would I as RP reply when the court questioned the lack of Photometric Data, and a blank Page 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back