emergency lighting and fire detection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have two story house contains 5 bedrooms which has been let to 5 individuals. the change of legislation that came into force beginning of this month
stipulate that I must obtain a licence for it. I contacted my local authorities where they insist to visit the house and discuss the licence requirements. the house has been recently fitted with new consumer Unit that is dual RCD protected. an installation certificate has been provided by the electrician who tested everything after installation. Both emergency lighting and fire detection system are connected to the light circuits of the house and were tested successfully. However the council still insist I have to provide the below

1. Fire Detection commissioning/servicing certificate stating that the fire detection system is compliant with British Standard 5839: Part 6
2. Emergency Lighting Commissioning/Servicing Certificate stating that it is compliant with British Standard 5266: Part 1: 1988

how can I get the above certificates. I believe the installation certificate of the CU should cover the above

Sponsored Links
because they were tested by the electrician teste every circuits in the house and very thing is working

A certificate verifying compliance with BS7671 will do precisely nothing to demonstrate compliance with either BS5266 or BS5839. These Standards have their own certificates and reports.

Sponsored Links
The certificates are provided by whoever installed and commissioned the emergency lighting and alarm system.

they were in the house before we bought it how can new one and what is the cost?

1. Contact local authority and find out exactly what type of lighting and fire system is required for the licence. There are many different types.
2. Find someone who can inspect the existing system and confirm that it meets the requirements. If it does, then they can provide the certificates.
If it isn't suitable or compliant, then a new system will need to be installed.

As for price - anything from not a lot if the existing system is fully compliant with the requirements, to a substantial sum if it all needs to be replaced with something else.

There should be log books for both systems. Compliance certificates are sometimes included in this documentation.
Everyone seems to be assuming that the property has always been used in a fashion that is in some way 'regulated' (i.e. that it had been so used before it came into the OP's ownership).

I live (as an owner/occupier) in a house with more than 5 bedrooms which has fire detectors and 'emergency lighting' - but all 'informal', so there are no 'log books or compliance certificates'. If someone bought it from me with the view to using it as an HMO, the new owner would presumably have the same problem/difficulty that the OP is experiencing.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back