a house with a fire alarm and emergency lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

ive not long had my niceic domestic installer

i have been asked 2 do a periodic on house but its got a fire alarm and emergency lights can i do the test or dose it have to be done by an niceic approved contractor? i think the house is some sort of crises center

ive not long gone on my own so im abit unsure thanks

Sponsored Links
so this is a multi ocupancy dwelling then presumably? some sort of hostel?

they will most likely need an NICEIC ( or other body ) certificate for insurance..

ive got my nic domestic installer, but because of the firealarm will i not beable to do it?

The fire alarm/security lighting issue just depends on whether you are competent in testing and inspecting these systems.
The rest depends on what the owners/occupiers of the building actually want.

If they want a PIR on the red NICEIC forms, then you can't do it, as they are only available to approved contractors.

If they will accept a domestic PIR (purple forms?) and you are registered with the NICEIC for domestic PIRs, then no problem.

If you only have domestic installer status without the PIR extension, then your only option is a PIR on blank/general purpose (green?) forms, which almost certainly won't be what is wanted.

Before agreeing to anything, you need to establish exactly what is required/expected.

Sponsored Links
hello all

ive not long had my niceic domestic installer
Do you honestly, hand on heart and abiding by the highest standards of professional responsibility, believe that you are skilled and experienced enough to do a PIR?

nope I don't..
I've got the qualification, but the only testing I've really done is doing R1+R2 and IR tests on the motors and compressors in the air handling units I used to build..

I've never had to test my own installs as I heve always been one of many sparkies working on an install and whichever company I was subbied to had their own testing guys doing the entire install when we'd nearly finished..

i have no problem doing a pir, i just wasent sure if you had to have a seperate cert for the fire alarm, we all need experience when were just starting off

i have no problem doing a pir, i just wasent sure if you had to have a seperate cert for the fire alarm, we all need experience when were just starting off

If you are testing fire alarm and EM lighting you will need to issue the appopiate forms for these... but are you testing them? Generally a PIR will exclude fire alarm and EM lighting (these if requested will be tested separately :cool: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back