emergency lighting and fire alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing a job and need to install emergency lighting and a fire alarm system but the big red book says they ned to be on there own circuit. Im working on 3 phase and thinking of taking one of the phases to make a CU to feed it but then it would not be balancing the power round the 3 pheses. Also how do I get the N to each fuse box?? I have worked on 3 phase but never done a full rewire.

Sponsored Links
The fire alarm supply needs to be from the origin of the supply with an appropriate warning label 'Fire Alarm - Do Not Switch Off'.
Emergency lighting should be wired from the local lighting circuits for which they are required.

how do I get the N to each fuse box??

Why separate fuse boxes. Usually you'd have 3phase board with separate breakers for each circuit. Then you do not have a problem because the neutral is (well) already there.

I echo the above comments. You need some help on site, what you are attempting appears to be outside your competence zone.

Sponsored Links
The emergency lighting generally would not be on it's own circuit on it's own board.

Emergency lights should go on the same circuit as the lighting you are trying to back up.

Some more detail would be appreciated.

The emergency lighting generally would not be on it's own circuit on it's own board.

Emergency lights should go on the same circuit as the lighting you are trying to back up.

Some more detail would be appreciated.

Mr patel said he wanted his 3 phase split up into 3 CUs and I didn't see a problem with it until I saw 1 N. This job is a right mess as some Kosovans or rusians have done the 1st fix and boarded all the ceilings and there was 100s of wires here there and all over the place but I have tested them now and it took a full week. :evil:

Is Mr Patel a competent electrician?
Are you?

The answers to these questions should tell you what you should do next....

I know what you are saying. :)

This job is a little bit out of my competency level but this is the 1st bigish job I have got since coming out of college so I will learn.

Sorry, I know you need to start somewhere, but you don't seem to have the competence required to do this job for a paying customer...

Paying customer :LOL: Thats a joke but ill tell him 3 single phase CUs is not the way to go and he needs a 3 phase board. All the wiring thats in for the fire alarm are the right type but im not sure if its correct as them that put the wires in don't know how to wire a 2 way light circuit right.

**** you lot anyway....I did my time at college and when I came out and tryed to get a job no **** wanted to know because I don't have 2 years experience in this trade. They took these bastards on from poland who know **** all... I will wipe my arss with my 2330 level 3 and 17th edition because no **** ever wants to see it these days and its ****ing usless to me.

Leeco
sorry you feel this way, but you have to understand that some of the people here are time served electrical contractors with many years of experience.

they are not trying to belittle you, but you have to understand that they have not seen your site, or know who you are and what you are capable of;

you asked about fire detection and emergency lighting,

the emergency lighting is relatively easy;
basics;
change of area
change of direction
change of level
over every final exit
over every direction to a final exit
external of each final exit

thats the basic, but there is more;

fire alarms

i would advise that you steer well clear of them, unless you REALLY know what you are doing,
as they area life safety item and should be fitted in accordance with BS5839 and EN54,

Oasis
intruder and fire detection systems engineer, and within our organization we are also electrical contractors to the leisure and entertainment industry

I just hope to get a real job in Leeds one day but I doubt it. And I don't think this job will get passed by the BC. Sorry for saying what I did but I realy like working on electrics and I can't find work.

I just hope to get a real job in Leeds one day but I doubt it. And I don't think this job will get passed by the BC. Sorry for saying what I did but I realy like working on electrics but I can't find work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back