Domestic emergency lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've just been installing some emergency lighting at home this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone else has done it?

It makes perfect sense to me.

I've only put in two lights. One on the stairs and one in the hallway downstairs, just to give a safe exit from the building, but I'm thinking I might eventually add a few more.

It didn't cost a lot, and might just make all the difference.

I've also linked them into my smoke alarms which will switch them onto maintained mode should they ever detect smoke.

Sponsored Links
Did you use a std 11w fitting or did you use the packs you can hide away and connect to your existing fittings??

Nice idea.
My hallway/landing lights are on their own circuit, I had always planned on putting it on a UPS or something, but have never got around to it.

The interlink between the smokes and the emergency lights is a good idea - let's hope you never need it.

We've actually got some of those Wi-Safe smoke alarms, they are interlinked by some RF tomfoolery and they also have an escape light/alarm thing that goes off when any of the smokes trigger. That's pretty good.

I've got a maintained emergency light in my CU room. It was left over on a job so I thought I'd fit it. :D

Sponsored Links
Hello

I've just been installing some emergency lighting at home this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone else has done it?
Not yet, but I've got some luminaires waiting for me to get round to it.

It makes perfect sense to me.
Me too - as well as power cuts, lighting circuits can be lost when lamps fail whether they are on RCBOs, properly distributed RCD groups or not on an RCD at all.

I've also linked them into my smoke alarms which will switch them onto maintained mode should they ever detect smoke.
Can you give us more info on that? Have you got regular interlinked alarms, or a fire alarm system with a panel?

I will be installing a non maintained one into the loft and also one under the stairs where the distribution board is.

I have also installed a seperate circuit around the house which will have 2watt CFL downlights fitted which is controlled by a photocell so we have "courtesy" lighting in the hallways, kitchen, bathrooms and lounge if you need to walk round at night. I think I may add a UPS to this circuit at some point to increase the emergency lighting around our home.

I fitted emergency lighting to landing above stairs and garage to light the way to RCD's I always forget to switch on garage light and normally have to switch power off again switch on garage light and then back on.
Fitted about 1990 never touched since.
Eric

I have just installed emergency lighting in the bathroom and kitchen. I was lucky enough to have a non maintained unit from old hire stock. I removed the tubes from the unit and extended the cables to feed two caravan lights with the guts removed. The control is powered from the lighting circuit and the lights switch on when this circuit fails. A new battery gives me 3 hrs.

So RF, sparkyspike, graham, eric and malatron are all bodgers in holmslaw's eyes..... :LOL:

I have an 8W non maintained fitting over the CU's.

I also installed four tiny (about the size of a 1p coin) white Luxeon Rebel based lights in the bathroom, kitchen, hall and landing which actually end up illuminating the rooms perfectly adequately for normal use. They run off a 12V auxiliary power supply unit with 12Ah battery and are controlled from the alarm panel to come on when it gets dark and also on AC failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back