Smoke alarm signal wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

Just a quickie for you.

Does anyone know if the auxilary interconnecting switch wire on mains powered smoke alarms is just a 230V switched live?

I'm going to be installing a couple in my house shortly, and would ideally like them to energise a relay to put my emergency lights into maintained mode.

This is not something I've tried before, so I was just wondering if it might work?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
I know the system I've got (made by Dicon) is slightly more complicated, as the signal wires will still work if the alarms are running on battery backup. They sell a base which has a relay and some circuitry built in to allow you to trigger external systems - I'm intending to get that and hook it up to either burglar alarm if I get one with an appropriate input, or to a server which can send me a text / call me...

It is only a signal wire - thats why we can use the black and not sleeve it ;)

If you think about it, the alarms still need to interlink on battery only when the mains fails.

Aico easyfit do a relay base to fit under any one of the detectors, and this presents volt free contacts on alarm.

Thanks very much chaps. that makes perfect sense.

I must stop thinking up these crazy plans whilst I'm in the pub :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back