Interconnected mains smoke alarm wiring

Don't fret. It actually enhances our view of you as a human being to see you making the same mistake for which you frequently take others to task :)
"Take to task"?

I don't think so, not unless they try to wriggle out of accepting liability with some pathetic excuse or other.

Sponsored Links
Don't fret. It actually enhances our view of you as a human being to see you making the same mistake for which you frequently take others to task :)
"Take to task"? I don't think so, not unless they try to wriggle out of accepting liability with some pathetic excuse or other.
OK, substitute any word or phrase of your choice for 'take to task' - but it helps to make you look human, whatever you call it.

As for 'pathetic excuses', the most common one (which I have certainly fallen foul of, so I'm hesitant to call it 'pathetic' :)) is the infamous list of 'similar topics' at the bottom of the page. Most are ancient, but if one clicks on one of them and then gets interested in what one reads, it's only too easy to forget that they're ancient and just 'click on Reply'!

Kind Regards, John.

As for 'pathetic excuses', the most common one (which I have certainly fallen foul of, so I'm hesitant to call it 'pathetic' :)) is the infamous list of 'similar topics' at the bottom of the page. Most are ancient, but if one clicks on one of them and then gets interested in what one reads, it's only too easy to forget that they're ancient and just 'click on Reply'!

And sometimes there's a good reason for adding a reply to such a topic anyway, even knowing that it's been dormant for several years. If something incorrect has been stated and has gone unchallenged, is it better to bump up that old topic by posting a correction, or just let it lie so that everybody else who can still read that topic today might go away believing the incorrect information which had been given earlier?

The fact that the "similar topics" list appears at the bottom of current threads probably means that those old topics still get a fair amount of "read only" visits to them by somebody who is looking for answers to a specific question.

And sometimes there's a good reason for adding a reply to such a topic anyway, even knowing that it's been dormant for several years. If something incorrect has been stated and has gone unchallenged, is it better to bump up that old topic by posting a correction, or just let it lie so that everybody else who can still read that topic today might go away believing the incorrect information which had been given earlier?.
I totally agree. Indeed, I've done that on occasions - but I usually include an explanatory comment in an attempt (not necessarily successfull) to pr-empt sarcastic criticisms!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
OK, substitute any word or phrase of your choice for 'take to task' - but it helps to make you look human, whatever you call it.
The only people who don't make mistakes are the dead ones.

It's important to remember the golden rule - if you mess up you fess up.

Without armour or braid?

Got a BS number or BASEC code for flat-3-core cable with no cpc?

And sometimes there's a good reason for adding a reply to such a topic anyway, even knowing that it's been dormant for several years. If something incorrect has been stated and has gone unchallenged, is it better to bump up that old topic by posting a correction, or just let it lie so that everybody else who can still read that topic today might go away believing the incorrect information which had been given earlier?.
I totally agree. Indeed, I've done that on occasions - but I usually include an explanatory comment in an attempt (not necessarily successfull) to pr-empt sarcastic criticisms!

Kind Regards, John.

I was looking at a forum the other day (can't remember the context. They have a standard default: Any topics that have had no activity for more than 180days are automatically locked to further input. This means that "searchers" can view past threads but need to start their own topic rather than unearthing a cobweb-encrusted topic from the dungeons of DIYNOT.com.

Maybe something worthwhile considering for here?

I would have thought so. In the rare cases envisaged by Paul_C I'm sure the mods could unlock it to allow a correction to be added.

But in all honesty, how often do old topics get accidentally revived?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back