Interconnecting Fire Alarms - Earth as interconnector?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am currently fitting a smoke alarm and a heat alarm which need to be interconnected and have a question which I'd very much appreciate being answered.
Neither of these two alarms need to be earthed and I currently have two core and earth cable running from the consumer unit to the site of the first alarm, and then a second two core and earth cable running from the first alarm to the second alarm. They are on a dedicated supply.
Is it acceptable (with building control etc) for me to use the earth wire as the interconnecting wire between the two alarms (I would not use the earth wire between the consumer unit and the first alarm).
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron

Sponsored Links
You are supposed to use 3 c & e. Is there any chance you can attach your 3c and pull it through using your t & e.
I'm not sure whether you would be allowed to sleeve the earth in say black and use that instead.

Never use a CPC for anything other than what it is designed for i.e. the Circuit Protective Conductor. You need to run the correct cable in.

I second that.

CPC is a CPC and must be used for nothing else.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
514-04-02,
Earth is Earth as said.
Is it a 'bare' conductor ?
514-04-06 may apply though :eek:
????????

Ed.

Yeah, it is bare at the ends where you strip it back. You sleeve a CPC with green/yellow sleeving for this purpose.
The reg you quote will also apply to the likes of bus bars where you may have 4 or 5 copper bars in an enclosure which should be identified.

may i also point out (one of my pet hates) that stand alone smoke detectors do NOT constitue a FIRE ALARM

breezer said:
may i also point out (one of my pet hates) that stand alone smoke detectors do NOT constitue a FIRE ALARM

You are so right. Too many people think a set of smoke alarms will sae them in the event of a fire. They do save a lot of lives but are the very basic minimum.

Heat sensitive alarm in the kitchen and ultility room

And plan and practise getting the family out of the house in the dark before you have to do it for real.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I can't put new 3 core cable in without messing up all the ceilings (between the heat alarm in the kitchen and the smoke alarm in the hallway) which have fairly recently been replastered.
I'll try to track down some not-to-expensive alrams which interconnect without requiring 3 core cable... Thanks again!

DIYSparky said:
I'll try to track down some not-to-expensive alrams which interconnect without requiring 3 core cable... Thanks again!

Do NOT use wireless linked ones. Mis use of the CPC would be better than them.

If you do mis use the CPC put labels at the alarms that the CPC is NOT an earth. Some one at a later date may use the CPC as an earth for something else.

Oh, are wireless linked ones no use then? Would a qualified electrician still give me a safety certificate if I used the earth as the interconnector and labelled as you suggest?
Thanks for your advice!

DIYSparky said:
Oh, are wireless linked ones no use then?

As long as the batteries are OK and there is no radio interference when your life may depend on the alarm working they may have some use.

Would a qualified electrician still give me a safety certificate if I used the earth as the interconnector and labelled as you suggest?

He shouldn't but he might.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back