Maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How often should a central heating system be cleaned? I'd put in the corrosion inhibitor into my system 4 - 5 years ago but when I looked in the header tank there was rust coloured jelly and a lot of slime. The next question I guess is how often does the corrosion inhibitor need to be topped up? What is a good maintenance regime? Yes you guessed it my system went bang last w/e.

Sponsored Links
jelly and slime would suggest you did not follow the instructions correctly.a correctly installed sys should not require cleaning just hot and cold flushing to clean it of installation debris.a poorly installed sys may require cleaning but you need to find the cause of the prob ie air ingress,poor circulation etc.inhibitor should be checked every year with the appliance service,most only require topping up every 5 years or so

the jelly and slime is bacterial growth, the correct procedure could well have been followed, but living things turn up later.

oilman fernox turns to jelly when it is poured in the f&e ,unless you drain some water first it sits in their without circulating forming a nice slimy surface turning to jelly just below the surface

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back