Major concerns with chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners of our property converted the loft.

When we were going through conveyancing we received a building control certificate stating that the loft conversion was done to standards, and was signed off.

However I can’t see any evidence of a chimney breast within the loft space? I’m concerned that the chimney stack is just sitting on top of our house.

If building control signed off on the loft conversion then I assume that it was all done in the proper way? Is this something that they would have been looking for when reviewing/approving the plans?

Sponsored Links
If building control signed off on the loft conversion then I assume that it was all done in the proper way? Is this something that they would have been looking for when reviewing/approving the plans?
Yes, so apply for a copy of the plans.

Sponsored Links
However I can’t see any evidence of a chimney breast within the loft space? I’m concerned that the chimney stack is just sitting on top of our house.
In addition to the responses above, modern building regs wouldn't allow for a party wall in the loft to be left uninsulated.
It is typical on conversions, for the party wall/chimney breast to be covered by an insulated stud wall.
Does the chimney breast still exist in the rooms below, and can you take any comparative measurements of its position?

If it's on the gable, may be supported by the ridge beam or by brackets.

If it's internal to the footprint of the house then who knows (although why on earth would you keep a chimney that's not needed while doing a loft conversion?)

If it's on the gable, may be supported by the ridge beam or by brackets.

If it's internal to the footprint of the house then who knows (although why on earth would you keep a chimney that's not needed while doing a loft conversion?)

Could it be a lightweight kidology chimney, installed just to maintain the look, with the real chimney removed?

Really? I could have sworn I got some copies from the council

Copies of building regs drawings held by the council in their archive should not be released to anyone unless written permission of the applicant or agent is given. That said there's nothing stopping the OP from enquiring with his local building control.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back