Major leak in crawlspace fixed - what needs doing next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - help please.

Too cut a long story short, wooden subfloor became wet, located a major leak under a 1930s house due to blue poly pipe joint failing. Homeserve have fixed the leak, I called out home insurance (they are trying to wiggle out of paying up, thats another issue for another forum).

When an access hole was made in the subfloor to get to the leak, it was gushing out, water was running away from the exterior wall and towards the middle of the house.

We first noticed a damp patch on the sub floor in the corner of the kitchen furthest away from the exterior wall.

What we can see:

Visible damage is a damp wooden subfloor, which sits on underlay , which sits chipboard (or similar) which sits on the joists, which possible sits on some kind of wall in the centre of the house.

The soil in the crawlspace was saturated and I am asusming that the water has collected in the middle of the house and has risen up a wall that has been built in the middle of the house, that runs in the opposite direction of the joists.

What I need to know is what action needs to be taken to prevent rot, mold or worse will my foundations need remedial action?

Will I need a dehumidefyer and/or should I leave the access hole open to allow ventilation?

My insurance company want me to create a further access hatch to prove to them that the damp floor is related to the water leak as its over a metre away from where the leak was. Clearly the loss adhustor doesnt know that water has a mind of its own and will find a natural level, not even sure he knew that damp rises.

A confused woman, with a rubbish insurance company who want to wiggle out of their liability.

Sponsored Links
Interesting that you use the usa term crawlspace, it's gaining popularity over here to describe the sub-area, 'cos believe me, you do crawl thro most of them.
!. why did homeserve have to cut an access trap - why wasn't the original floor trap used? Why a further trap? How deep is the sub-soil from the joists?

2. Very rare for water to rise to joist ht. Typically, it drains thro the vents. Spray from the leak will shoot anywhere. 3. No need for extra ventilation, or any other action, if you have vents in ext. walls.

4. watch and wait with any damp flooring mats.

5. please dont use Homeserve and the like, use local tradespeople.

Interesting that you use the usa term crawlspace, it's gaining popularity over here to describe the sub-area, 'cos believe me, you do crawl thro most of them.

ME LOL OIC that's what its caLled, that's google for you I suppose

!. why did homeserve have to cut an access trap - why wasn't the original floor trap used? Why a further trap? How deep is the sub-soil from the joists?

ME As the wood completely covers the whole of the kitchen floor, I don't even know if there is an original trap or where its located, the void is about 3-4 foot deep

2. Very rare for water to rise to joist ht. Typically, it drains thro the vents. Spray from the leak will shoot anywhere.

ME definately not a spray, more like an open tap, I think the rising water has been aided by the wall the runs under the kitchen floor, behind this is where I believe the water has collected, the only vents I can see are those above the level of my patio which are below the sub floor. Until someone actually goes down to take a damp reading we won't know how bad it it.

3. No need for extra ventilation, or any other action, if you have vents in ext walls.

ME - Thanks we have 2 vents either end of the kitchen, but am tempted to leave the access hole open..

4. watch and wait with any damp flooring mats.

ME ,Not sure what these are, good news insurance have validated my claim as the pictures the loss adjustor sent and the homeserve report are enough evidence

5. please dont use Homeserve and the like, use local tradespeople.

ME Would love to support local tradesman, but the best way for me to manage home emergencies when funds are limited is via a home emergency insurance policy which is relitively cheap per month when compared to a potentially massive bill in one lump.

Thanks for your response timOO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back