What to lay down side of house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

The house I've bought has gravel down the side of the house laid straight in soil and high is sitting way above the foundation of the house, and therefore causing damp in the wall it is sitting against.

I need to dig it down and relay something on it and wondering what the common solution is. For my mind, gravel is easiest but would I need channel strip drains and concrete or some other method of draining the water away that falls in the area?

Image attached

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4690.JPG
    IMG_4690.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 160
Sponsored Links
To actually attack the problem at the source, and in my opinion the easiest way. (Which I did at my house). Is to:
-firstly dig out the whole area to below the DPC. Bare in mind the thickness of what your replacing it with. I.e. 3" flags,1.5" cement bed, 2" of MOT. Totalling 6.5" (or perhaps in your case 2"of gravel?). The top of your finish floor level needs to be 6" below the DPC to avoid damp from splashing rain.
I would also put a breathable membrane down to help prevent the weeds.
Looking at the picture there shouldn't be too much rainfall for the area of the house?
I wouldn't bother with drainage. Unnecessary unless you have future problems after completing the work.

To actually attack the problem at the source, and in my opinion the easiest way. (Which I did at my house). Is to:
-firstly dig out the whole area to below the DPC. Bare in mind the thickness of what your replacing it with. I.e. 3" flags,1.5" cement bed, 2" of MOT. Totalling 6.5" (or perhaps in your case 2"of gravel?). The top of your finish floor level needs to be 6" below the DPC to avoid damp from splashing rain.
I would also put a breathable membrane down to help prevent the weeds.
Looking at the picture there shouldn't be too much rainfall for the area of the house?
I wouldn't bother with drainage. Unnecessary unless you have future problems after completing the work.

Thanks Sammy777 - that's probably a fair shout; there would hardly be any rain in this area as it's between 2 houses. Especially if I put a good amount of gravel in, which should provide good drainage in and of itself. Looks like I'll go with that - makes perfect since; simple and wise! Thanks again

Sponsored Links
FFL is interior, and best practice, although its not always possible, is for it to be a min of 150mm above the ground level (GL) not 150mm below the DPC.

The lower render should be cut back approx 50mm from GL contact - typically its 50mm but it would depend on how high any splash goes.

Why not mark on your pic the DPC line and the FFL line?
And why not post some interior pics of the damp signs inside the house?

I can only see a single 9" x 3" air brick/vent - they should be installed every 2m around any suspended floors.

I don't really see a problem. That dash should end at the dpc line, the gravel should allow the bottom of the wall to breath. Depending on where your ffl, dpc and if you have a DPM in the floor will depend on if any of the render needs removing.

If it really is just a case of lowering the ground outside then remember any gravel backfill will fill with fines. If they have said remove down to the foundation then something is very wrong with their advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back