Major RCD issue -please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be really grateful for any help. Two weeks ago our neighbour text to say 'all' her lights were flickering about 2100hrs.She asked if ours were ok and I confirmed yes no problem at all. Then 90 mins later our house went into darkness!
We have a 100a MK consumer unit(7 years old) with two separate RCD's.I went to the consumer unit and was a little surprised to discover the plastic cover for all the rcd's and mcb's was open. Now I am an old retired mech engr with a vivd imagination, and thought thats clever the main switch has tripped and in doing so has opened the cover to let the customer know there is a major fault! I may be talking garbage, but neither me or my wife had opened it??
I reset the main red switch and all was ok.I phoned our next door neighbour and her lights were now ok and not flickering.I also phoned her adjacent neighbour and she said she had noticed her lights were flickering earlier that evening.
I then phoned the Elect Board supplier and they said they would not attend unless the whole street was in darkness.I asked how could my main switch trip without a major problem and asked if we were looped in/shared with the neighbours supply? I replied sorry I haven't a clue!
Since then everything has been ok, until last night/early hours today.Got up at 0700hrs and all upstairs lights were not working, checked consumer unit and one of the rcds had tripped(not the main switch).I reset the rcd and it has been fine.My first concern is the fridge freezer is on that rcd circuit.I have phoned both neighbours today and one says her lights are ok, and the other did notice some flickering from their lights for a brief second or two.
Finally this area has for many years had quite significant 'power dips' eg lights do dim,not flickering though.But that was meant meant to be fixed with a new major cable a few years ago.We also have a major gas pipe renewal scheme ongoing 500m away for the next 6 months, wonder whether utilities are being affected during excavation?
Does anyone have any ideas as a way forward to resolve this-sorry for lengthy post!
Many thanks
Billy

Sponsored Links
Show us a picture of this " red main switch " that had tripped,and you reset.

Attached as requested

Attachments

• B14BCDF6-5378-4FD5-8A59-60F123703A9B.jpeg
    B14BCDF6-5378-4FD5-8A59-60F123703A9B.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 160
That red switch doesnt trip . It is simply a double pole isolation switch. If you found it in the OFF position , someone had turned it off.
Is your consumer unit in a garage or other area that an unscrupulous person can access ??

Sponsored Links
Thank you for a swift reply,and my apologies for misleading you.I suffer from extreme vertigo which significantly affects my short term memory!
The CU is in our under stairs cupboard in the house and no one has any access other than me and my better half!

so sorry for confusion,whilst in the dark looking for the tripped device, it must have been one of the rcd’s that tripped originally not the isolator,I assume it was the one on left handside(which feeds the downstairs lights and the fridge freezer)
Billy the muppet

No worries Billy. The fact that you and two of your neighbours are having issues ,I would consider that to be associated with the network supply. I suggest all three neighbours contact the DNO to complain.

Many thanks Terry,
I am grateful for your advice,I will we suggest to my neighbours that we contact the DNO individually,
Thanks once again,
Billy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back