Rcd trips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours rcd trips at the consumer unit regulary when the oven is turned on. There is a seperate isolating switch on the board for the cooker but that does not trip, just the main rcd. He was asking me what I thought of it but I do not know.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Graeme said:
. There is a seperate isolating switch on the board for the cooker but that does not trip,

as you said its an isolator SWITCH it will not trip.

It sounds like one of the heating elements has "gone down" (that is it has a small hole and is allowing in moisture, so when turned on is shorting to earth)

either get new cooker or element

Thanks breezer, Ill tell him to get a new element.

RE the isolating switches. I have the same type of mcb as him and if a light bulb blows in the kitchen it is the switch covers the circuit of the downstairs lights that 'trips' and not the rcd, I thought it would be the same for the cooker.

'fraid not, an mcb is not the same as an rcd, an mcb is for short cicuit / overload protection and rcd is for earth protection, to find out more see this

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back