Make cut out in skirting board to fix over hearth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure how best to achieve this, I'm trying to make a cut out in my skirting board to fix over part of the hearth of my fireplace.

Picture attached of the area in question, I'm sure there is an easy way that I'm just not figuring out!

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180408_155229.jpg
    20180408_155229.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 570
Sponsored Links
I think he is looking at skirting a small piece of wall to the right of a fireplace, over some kind of hearth, to a corner?
Depends what tools you have but I would do it in two halves (probably ) and cut a cardboard template first
Then use a jigsaw or coping saw to remove the material

You can get profile tools quite cheaply
https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-st...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMe5zMaFq9oCFZIw0wodDkwJZw
You straighten the edges then push it down and the pins trace the pattern

If you are having painted skirting you could cut square around hearth and fill before painting.The laminate trim could be trimmed back so skirting sits behind.

Sponsored Links
If you are good with a jigsaw or a multi-saw, you can pencil trace around the end of that timber (looks like dado rail) onto the skirting board and cut out the profile.

Looks like a really decent bit of scribing. Personally I'd trim the end of your quadrant flush with the skirting. Either remove it all, fit the skirt and cut in to suit or use a flush cut saw and sharp chisels, in a similar method to the attached image.

Quickest way would be with an OMT and a steady hand.

Otherwise scribe.

Attachments

• tarkettInstallationInstructions_04_729-420x0.jpg
    tarkettInstallationInstructions_04_729-420x0.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 206

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back