Making a bifold door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we have a cupboard with a 686 mm wide internal door on it. The door opens outwards but due to space restrictions I would like to cut it in half vertically so it folds on to its self when opened.

It's a hollow (cardboard) door and I'm aware I will need to glue timber inside to support it.

Is it possible to have a bifold door without a running track at the top - i.e. Keep the original hinges and add additional hinges in the middle ?

Would this work ?

I want to avoid using a track if possible because I don't like the gap at the top of "normal" bifold doors and the head room is already tight for me to put a covering strip over this.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
yep can be done,might be worth adding a lipping to each door aswell in the middle,then either using a couple hinges or a piano hinge.

Sponsored Links
When you cut the door the hardboard edges will be visible, a strip of ramin [hard wood] over them will hide it [lipping].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back