Making a garden table center plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to attempt to make a new center plate, called a Lazy Susan, for my garden table cause the original ceramic one got broken.

Size, 40cm diameter, 1cm thick.

Can anyone advised what mix of mortar I should use please?

eg

sand & cement

fine gravel & cement

Sponsored Links
Mortar mix for pottery:

1 part cement
1 part silver sand
1 part hopeium
1 part unobtanium

Thanks ntb - I appreciate your posting

You'll have to excuse my ignorance when I ask,

do I find myself a pottery supplies shop for all except the cement?

Thanks ntb - I appreciate your posting

You'll have to excuse my ignorance when I ask,

do I find myself a pottery supplies shop for all except the cement?

You'll probably find that, while they might be optimistic about the third item, they won't be able to get the fourth.

I think you're having your leg pulled.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Well its a pity if I'm having my leg pulled when I'm using the forum for advice.

That kind of activity doesn't encourage one to use the forum.

Well its a pity if I'm having my leg pulled when I'm using the forum for advice.

That kind of activity doesn't encourage one to use the forum.

If you're making it of concrete I would maybe use 3 or 4 parts sharp sand to 1 part of cement. That's how I've made gnomes ;)

Are you going to cast it in something?

Why not make it out of wood though?

Cheers
Richard

I was gently trying to make the point that trying to replicate ceramics with a mortar mix is somewhat pointless. It will not have anything like the tensile strength nor smoothness of finish of the original.

I was gently trying to make the point that trying to replicate ceramics with a mortar mix is somewhat pointless. It will not have anything like the tensile strength nor smoothness of finish of the original.

You could put strengthening bars in it, but would still end up with air bubbles affecting the surface. Which is why I suggested wood ...

Cheers
Richard

Having given the matter some thought.

A base made from 3mm plywood, rough side facing a 7mm deep layer of a mortar mix.

If I drill lots of holes in the plywood, the mortar will run into the holes so the two are well bonded.

This I believe will make a not too fragile lazy susan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back