Tiled garden table for pizza oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm planning to build a simple garden table for my pizza oven and the table will double up to hold a few potted plants also. Nothing too fancy construction wise but I'm considering a nice decorative tiled top to make it look decent. The pizza oven weighs around 9kg and my table dimensions are likely to be:

1000mm wide
900mm depth
800mm height

My plan is as follows:

- build a simple box frame using 45x70mm treated C16 timber from the likes of Wickes, B&Q
- fit some batons to the lower part so I can later add a low shelf to hold the gas bottle, some accessories and even the oven when not in use
- use 12mm or 18mm marine ply as a backing board and apply a layer of PVA to it
- fit the ply to the table frame
- use powder tile adhesive and set the tiles on the ply
- use some 70mm x 20mm timber that is mitre cut for frame that I will place on the edge of the outer tiles to use as a trim
- grout the tiles and leave to dry
- build the lower shelf using planks of wood or pallet wood if I can find it
- paint up the table
- get cooking!

Thrown a few images from the web that I'm using as ideas to help!

I want the tiles and the wooden trim to be flush ideally so I was even considering asking a timbers merchant to create a rebate into some timber for me to allow for the ply + tile thickness and maybe even get them to cut the mitres for me (though I do have a cheap old plastic mitre box I could use).

Also, I’m not really planning to get into cutting tiles so will choose the tile size to accommodate the table - eg 200mm x 200mm tiles.

I'm no master DIYer by any means and have limited tools at my disposal but happy to give this project a go.

I am putting my plan out to see if there is anything I'm missing, should do differently ... so appreciate any input, tips!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 08.02.38.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 08.02.38.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 07.59.54.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 07.59.54.png
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 07.59.04.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 07.59.04.png
    1 MB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 07.57.25.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 07.57.25.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Use a more suitable tile backer. One that is not susceptable to movement from moisture changes.

Sponsored Links
Yes or Schlüter-KERDI-BOARD which has the benefit for being light and easy to cut.

You can easily make little features out if kerdi also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back