renovating a wooden coffee table, advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm working on a coffee table for my daughter. It had some kind of ugly composite middle which I've managed to cut out and as you can see from the attached pic I'm left with a hollow frame. My plan is to fix some kind of wooden backing to the underside of the table, build it up a little then tile the centre. (I'm obviously also going to sand, stain and varnish the frame) before reattaching the legs.
My question is what type of sheet material would you recommend for the underside of the table (MDF? Ply?) It needs to be about 70cm x 70cm and reasonably strong to give a solid base for the tiles. Ideally I'd like to be able to paint it too. I was hoping to just screw through to the frame to attach it but obviously would have to be careful not to go all the way through (it's about 30mm deep). As always any advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back