Outdoor tiled table top

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to tile an outdoor table top - using exterior ply as a base but do I need to be careful of what type of tiles I buy?

The table will be left out all year, so I do not want to have cracked tiles due to frost.

Sponsored Links
Don't use ply as a base; even exterior grade ply is still wood, wood is not dimensionally stable, it expands & contracts depending on moisture content. OK for a bathroom floor but even then the underside & edges should be sealed against moisture but when exposed to the ravages of an outdoor climate it won’t last long; moisture will be absorbed into the underside of the ply which will expand, curl & your tiles will fall off.

You need to use a cement based board but not over timber supports as these will still distort. Check your tiles are frost proof; a decent flexible powder cement based adhesive, (not tub mix) & grout are frost proof down to around -30 degrees C but I’ve never used them outside so check the spec.

The frame is aluminium - I am actually wanting to replace the wooden top because the weather has taken its toll on it.

Will a cement board be strong enough to support, say the weight of someone leaning over the table? table top dimensions are approx. 1m x 2m

the cement board I have seen is from the big sheds and for use in bathrooms instead of plasterboard - I assume you don't mean that?

Sponsored Links
Well something very similar that’s for sure; but, as you’ve figured, cement boards aren’t designed to be used unsupported. Although it’s stable & quiet tough, it is rather brittle if not fully supported & this is going to be fairly difficult to achieve on a patio table. All the outside use tiled tables I have seen are made from a concrete base & the tiles fixed straight onto that.

A ply table top would need to be a 22 -25mm thick or it’s going to flex & there go your tiles & it must be thoroughly sealed so that no moisture cant get in or your going to have expansion/contraction in the timber & there go your tiles again; I wouldn’t hold out much hope achieving 100% sealing. You’re still going to have a problem with the tiled surface unless you tank it; it’s only the very expensive epoxy adhesives & grout that are & truly waterproof & non absorbent. All other waterproof adhesive & grout is only waterproof in the sense it wont disintegrate when wet, it will still absorb water &, in an outside environment, this will inevitably permeate down through the grout into the ply base below, the ply expands & there go your tiles again.

Tiling outside tables is not something I have any experience with but I understand very well how the materials behave & what happens if you get it wrong in a bathroom environment & I would think the chances of such a table lasting more than one summer/winter cycle are not very good. Taking into consideration the work involved, likely cost of materials & the risk of early failure, it may be easier & cheaper to buy a new patio table.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back