Making a shower area water tight - corners and the wall area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I am looking to install a new shower on the first floor, usually what I do is ensure I have a 6mm cement board on the floor, I intend to tile the whole area anyway.

I have been reading online about tanking kit, some kind of tape to tape up corners etc. Also it appears that whoever installed the previous shower painted some black stuff on the wall of the shower area, so i just wanted to check what is the correct way to ensure that the shower area is water tight, its going to be butted to a corner in the bathroom.

Thans in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the tray is to be raised then make up a solid level wooden plinth for the tray with a 15+mm WBP ply top, don't use a riser kit, longer term they're crap. Fully tank the wet area, at least 3/4 height, before the tray goes in. Jointing tape on all board joints and corners, prime the area well with primer and then apply 2 good coats of membrane/covering.
When fitting the tray then use an aquastrap or other type of a shower seal and a good quality silicone or silicone adhesive along every side that touches the wall, fit to the space and then fill in any gaps along the top edge. Clean and let it set before tiling and then apply a final seal along the tile/tray edge.

If the tray is to be raised then make up a solid level wooden plinth for the tray with a 15+mm WBP ply top, don't use a riser kit, longer term they're crap. Fully tank the wet area, at least 3/4 height, before the tray goes in. Jointing tape on all board joints and corners, prime the area well with primer and then apply 2 good coats of membrane/covering.
When fitting the tray then use an aquastrap or other type of a shower seal and a good quality silicone or silicone adhesive along every side that touches the wall, fit to the space and then fill in any gaps along the top edge. Clean and let it set before tiling and then apply a final seal along the tile/tray edge.

Good reply.
Thanks for this.
All the materials you metioned, can you please send me a link to each and every one of it. I want to ensure that I get the correct one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back