Making a table tennis table from 4 pieces of wood

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I've got another question asking for advice on how to create a TT table - but thought I'd ask this as a separate question)

I had an idea: create a table tennis table from 4 pieces
I want to do this and sell to others (just a crazy idea at the moment)

The idea would be to get the wood as and when I receive an order - make minor adjustments and send to the buyer

The bit I am not 100% sure about is how to perfectly line up 2 pieces of wood and have almost zero gap - should the ball ever fall on the dividing gap, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference

Also, the wood could be anything - just not really soft wood

I'm using an Ikea table at the moment - the table top cost £10 (legs £2 each) - this would be fine. I think it's got a plastic coating

(Exact proper measurements for real table tennis tables *not* required - just roughly close would be fine)

Any thoughts? :)
Just an idea in my head! Lol

OM

Sponsored Links
Do you have a spec for the materials (thickness, weight, etc)? Do you have a target cost? Have you considered how you'll deliver these items and what effect delivery costs will have on your margin?

Joining level? How about some bullet connectors (like taper-topped metal or plastic dowels - see Hafele 642.51.243) and two or three coach bolts with washers and wing nuts?

i doubt 4 bits will work wood being a natural material moves it will only require a 1mm difference to effect the ball :eek:

They are already commercially available, doubt you could match price or quality.

Sponsored Links
They are already commercially available, doubt you could match price or quality.
really? where?

even the smallest difference would matter actually
thickness - not really important

in terms of shipping, i was hoping when cut into 4 pieces, i could then send using a normal courier - for less than £10

nothing but a crazy idea for now :)

even the smallest difference would matter actually
thickness - not really important
OK, but do you have a target manufacturing cost? (i.e. one which leaves you a realistic profit margin after taking out marketing, advertising and distribution costs) Without that it is impossible to advise you about potential materials or even feasibility. Are we talking aout £10, £50, £100, £200 here? And what sort of product do you need to be competitive in the market? Ultra lightweight/ Low-cost? Premium?

in terms of shipping, i was hoping when cut into 4 pieces, i could then send using a normal courier - for less than £10
Having been involved in shipping KD furniture products in the past I have to ask you whether you are sure of that price. 4 off 1/2 jumbos of sheet material are likely to be classed as an oversize product. I'd recommend looking into this and getting a shipping price - then add a few pounds for protective corners and plastic wrapping. It might well shock you

Not trying to put you off, merely trying to act as a "sanity check"

nothing but a crazy idea for now :)

you are hoping to send 15 to 20 kilos measuring around 2.5mx 2mx 250mm for £10 i think you will find its nearer £100

just done a check on my parcel that are very good they use most couriors
i had to down size the package to maximum 2m and 10kg to get down to the a level they handle and that was £156 size rather than weight being the problem

My Parcel Delivery
Welcome back, Account No:
big all 002768
Account Type: Personal
Account Balance: £0.00 Add Funds

Home
myAccount
Tracking
Courier Services
Courier Companies
eBay Services
Information Hub
Bulk Shipping

Contact / Help

Blog
Reviews
Act on CO2

Your delivery quotes from the couriers are listed below.
Please select a service to ship your parcels.
Collecting From: UK Mainland - RH1 1 Parcel - Weight:10.0kg
Delivering To: UK Mainland - NE33
Same Day Delivery
Next Day Delivery
Available: by 9am, by 10am, by 12pm
2-3 Day Delivery
3-5 Day Delivery

City Sprint

CitySprint Same Day

Same Day services allow you to have your parcels collected within 1 hour and delivered directly to their destination by a dedicated courier.

Collection:
Delivery:
Pickup:
Time: :

Get City Sprint Quote

city Link

MPD Next Day Delivery

Earliest Collection

Tomorrow

For Delivery

Tue 17th Jul
Service Information Service Restrictions Printer Required
£156.40
+VAT
Book Now

City Link

City Link Next Day

Earliest Collection

Tomorrow

For Delivery

Tue 17th Jul
£182.10
+VAT
Book Now

City Link

City Link Saturday Delivery by 12pm

Earliest Collection

Fri 20th Jul

For Delivery

Sat 21st Jul by 12:00 p.m.
£197.30
+VAT
Book Now
Next Day by 12pm
Back to Top, by 9am, by 10am

City Link

City Link by 12:00

Earliest Collection

Tomorrow

For Delivery

Tue 17th Jul by 12:00 p.m.
£182.90
+VAT
Book Now
Next Day by 10am
Back to Top, by 9am, by 12pm

City Link

City Link by 10:30

Earliest Collection

Tomorrow

For Delivery

Tue 17th Jul by 10:30 a.m.
£244.30
+VAT
Book Now

City Link

City Link Saturday Delivery by 10:30

Earliest Collection

Fri 20th Jul

For Delivery

Sat 21st Jul by 10:30 a.m.
£258.60
+VAT
Book Now
Next Day by 9am
Back to Top, by 10am, by 12pm

City Link

City Link by 09:00

Earliest Collection

Tomorrow

For Delivery

Tue 17th Jul by 9:00 a.m.
£274.30
+VAT
Book Now

City Link

City Link Saturday Delivery by 9am

Earliest Collection

Fri 20th Jul

For Delivery

Sat 21st Jul by 9:00 a.m.

Inclusive Cover

£20.00 (Up to £1000 available)

Tracking

Tracking is Available
£288.60
+VAT
Book Now

City Link

City Link 2-Day Delivery

Earliest Collection

Tomorrow (Book within 50 mins)

For Delivery

Wed 18th Jul
£154.60
+VAT
Book Now
Unfortunately, no services can be found for this shipment by our system. However, please Contact Us as one of our Customer Service Representatives will be able to

http://www.libertygames.co.uk/store/table-tennis/indoor-table-tennis/table-tennis-bce-isd1173/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=google_base Could you make it better than this with all the extras and make a profit....If the answer is yes,then go for it...If no then probably better to keep idea in your head for now :)
At £169 including delivery the retailer is probably buying in at no more than £85 including VAT and making a margin of £40 to £50 assuming that his delivery costs are in the region of £35 or so (the clue is Highland delivery - up there goods are often delivered to a trans-shipment point and then onward delivered by a local general carrier meaning that they are effectively delivered twice. That surcharge is a good indicator of the real shipping cost in the main part of the country). Unless you are making these in huge quantities and/or the materials are cheap as chips I can't see anyone here in the EU competing with this - not even at Polish or Chezc labour costs. yet another example of Chinese manufacturing scr*wing manufacturing here.

To the OP

If you are going to get into this market I think that you seriously need to look at going after the "quality" end of the market where design, fit and finish are at a premium. Of course, that assumes that there is a "quality" end to this market

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back