Making fine tilth for seeding new lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a freshly dug and graded (by JCB excavator) 30m x 45m area of top soil that I want to prepare for grass seed. It is generally level but has lots of fist sized clumps of soil on top that need breaking up first. Stamping on them or manual hoeing is going to be a long job given the size of the area. Is there a piece of equipment that I can hire that will produce a fine even tilth I need?

What is the difference between a rotavator, cultivator or tiller? Not sure any of them is right as they seem to dig, and I don't want to dig up more clumps just break them up evenly. Saw a video of a walk behind two wheel tractor with "power harrow", that seemed just the thing but can't find anything like it locally. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Contractors tend to leave it all fluffed up, as if all you had to do was shake the seed on, but in reality the work is only starting.
Will depend on the type of soil, but if you got them to drive on it with the track machine would that help, then lightly rake to get a fine seedbed for the grass? If not check with your local hire shop to see what they have available.
Consider manually rolling and raking until level, mightn't take that long?

you need to break the clods up to level it effectively.

Its just back breaking raking really i'm afraid.

If its very bad a tiller might help

A tiller is like a small rotavator, its only really for cultivating already dug over ground. A rotovator will probably bring up as many clods as its breaks up.

Adding lots of grit sand and tilling it in will help.

Oh and you need two dry days in a row really. its much easier in the dry.

Thanks for the advice. The landscape rake I ordered has just arrived broken so now I am awaiting a replacement. Yet to discover what I can achieve with manual raking. Meanwhile the clods seem to be multiplying as everything settles and looks more like a moon scape. I do feel overwhelmed by the size of the task.

Soil is light and well drianed, when dry and fine it has a tendency to blow away want to get the grass to hold structure. However beneath is heavy clay and rock, and some of the clods are going to be clay or stones brought to the surface. Restoration after construction work on the plot, top soil was scrapped back but inevitably there has been some mixing in all the manouvres.

Rather confused about the machinery options. The tillers I have seen on video seem to be used to dig a furrow, likewise with cultivators. Rotavators seem to be bigger but also dig. I just want something that breaks up the clods on the surface. Could a rotavator be set to be shallow and then hitting the back box etc. break the clods? I guess I am just going to have to hire something and try.

Sponsored Links
I rotavator will indeed go down 6" or so. One question is whether or not the soil is compacted. If so, then rotavating would open it up and improve drainage. I rotavated my soil, then raked, about 17m by 17m, yes it is tedious. People say dragging a piece of wood over the surface helps level it. Or wait till winter, and let the frosts break up the clods!!!!!

Or wait till winter, and let the frosts break up the clods!!!!!
By which time people on here will say it isn't time to sow a lawn ;)

I have used a Camon rotavator twice on heavy clay (compacted lawn and other bits of land in varying states of cultivation). Both times it produced a fine tilth after a few passes, but did a better job when I took the turf up first. It isn't really hard work with a powerful enough machine: you just need to walk round behind it.

One question is whether or not the soil is compacted. If so, then rotavating would open it up and improve drainage.
Soil is open and well turned over by 6T digger, drains OK but has clods on the surface from the digging. Jut need a clod buster!

People say dragging a piece of wood over the surface helps level it. Or wait till winter, and let the frosts break up the clods!!!!!
Tried the plank (weighed down with blocks), can see it would help with leveling but does nothing for the clods. When light it just bounces over the top, with weights it is very hard work, collects the clods then bogs down. As for the winter, mild climate means get very little frost here.

Going to try a self-propelled rotavator with big wheels and try to keep it shallow, hopefully can hire one locally. Then rake like crazy.

Would love a 2 wheeled tractor with power harrow (common in US or Italy) but they cost ££££ and no one seems to hire them. Unless someone knows differently?

Might be worth trying a heavy roller before raking? If you split the workload leaving yourself time to do an hour or so, of heavy raking combined with lighter work on the lawn, you will get there. Don't expect to do 8-10 hours of raking or you will be sick of it before long. You will get more done in the first hour than you will in the last three.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back